Life changing true stories told to encourage, empower and inspire us!

Bookmark and Share

"Fill your mind with light, happiness, hope, feelings of security and strength, and soon your life will reflect these qualities." ~Unknown

Email me anytime: coreen.velvetoversteel@gmail.com

"The Greatest gift that you can give to others is the gift of unconditional love and acceptance!" ~Brian Tracy

All post and stories are the sole property of Velvet Over Steel aka Coreen Trost. I write and create post in order to help others, so share as you want. I just ask that you link back or give VOS credit. Some of the stories are going into a book in progress. Thank You ALL.. for your support and help!!
"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader." ~ John Quincy Adams

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Standing up for Ourselves

Many of you are very similar parents as myself in regards to standing up and fighting for our children.  No matter if they are special needs or not.  We as parents would do anything for them and want the very best  in regards to education and positive role models. 

I know that I would, and have at times, fought for my sons with all my heart and energy.  Never brushing things off or waiting for someone else to do what needs to be done.  I would fight for my boys, no matter what.

But what about ourselves?  Do we fight for those things, for our own selves?  Even more importantly, do we stand up for ourselves in the same way, with the determination and passion that we have when it's for our children?  Why is it harder to take care of ourselves and get what we need, including respect.

In my own case, no I don't.  In fact I let way too much slide.  I try to get along and be friends with everyone, if at all possible.  However in the last 6 months or so, I've been extremely stressed in a particular area of my life where I've decided I don't want to be friends with some people.  Even more so in the last few weeks.  It's been a very stressful! 

I had been debating about what to do in this situation for a long time.  Deep down waiting for someone else to stand up for me, I think.  Understandably, no one wanted to do more than tell me that I was in the right.  I few people offered to make a phone call or send an email in my defence; but didn't.

Finally, with the advice of someone I trust and who knows these situations, I did what I needed to do. I made some appointments.  I explained my situation and first hand experiences.  I talked from my heart and stayed with the facts; instead of pushing blame or making excuses.  I think I explained things very well.

Last week I took a stand and stood up for myself. It was very empowering!  I don't know if I've ever felt this good about myself ever.  After everything I do for my youngest son, no one could believe I wouldn't automatically do those same things for myself.  But until this week, I hadn't very often.  Maybe because I have to fight for what Brandon needs, that I don't take the time or energy for myself.  I'm so glad that I've changed. 

This growing experience has been exactly what I needed for the next phase of my like, or incredible journey as I like to think it will be.  Yes, I know it will be!

http://velvetoversteel.blogspot.com/2010/05/standing-up-for-ourselves.html
Bookmark and Share

21 comments:

  1. Excellentttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!! i am PROUD of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome Coreen! Truly I know how you feel...and I am very proud of you, you are an inspiration to many out here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you all the best of luck,
    It is all to easy when helping someone else
    to lose track of yourself....I know from expereience.

    Take care.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. excellent...we have to do that because no one else will...so glad you did...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is hard to stand up for ones self!! I don't know why it is that way either?! And I too am proud of you. That took an extra dose of courage and strength. Woot!!! Woot!!
    Hugging you
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so true that sometimes it is easier to stand up for another person then to stand up for yourself. With our Lord's help He will keep you on the right track. I'm praying for you. God's blessings, Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes it's complete love that makes you do selfless things, as sticking up for your children and not thinking about yourself first. For instance, a mother's first instinct when in a dire situation is to protect their children. In 'harm's way', a mother will always and automatically hover over her child to protect them from any harm. It's a mother's instinct, but yet I'm glad that you found the ability to also be aware of your own needs too! You seem like a very generous and giving soul. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Good for you! I think that standing up for ourselves can be very difficult because we don't want to make a situation worse and it isn't always clear if standing up for ourself will make the situation worse or better. At least, that's how I feel. But sometimes, it is GOOD to stand up for yourself. And I think, probably more often than not there is a good way to do it. You are worth standing up for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so cool! I have such a hard time standing up for myself. But when you do, you just feel so much better!! It's something I strive to get better at.

    ReplyDelete
  10. we need to stand up for our kids, its in our nature :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you!!!

    It can be so easy to do things for ourselves sometimes, including standing up for ourselves. It's easy to say we're going to do something but can be very different in reality. I'm really proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oops, I meant to say it can be difficult to do things for ourselves sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so happy you found the strength to stick up for yourself! What is it with we women that we have such a hard time protecting ourselves?
    I finally found my voice a few years ago and now I say what I mean but I do not say it mean. It does get easier!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for stopping by earlier! You are my 400th follower...yeah! Who ne when I started blogging a year ago that I would ever have this many followers! I was so happy to reach 10;)!

    I have met the most wonderful ladies in this crazy venture...I love it!

    Thanks for following me!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good for you, and I agree it is harder to stand up for yourself than for you children.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have some awards for you. Please stop by.
    http://www.myperfectlittleworldblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great thing you have learned. You learned to be assertive. Before you stood up for yourself you were passive. Let others get by with things you wish you could have stood up but didn't to avoid a clash. Forcefully defending yourself and calling people out for things they say is aggressive. I think that's why many people don't say anything because they don't want to be seen as arrogant or defensive. What you learned was assertiveness. A person can stand up for themselves in a way the doesn't put down the other person, but allows you to say what you need to say. Many people never find that balance. You did. That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is sad, but true, that many people will not respect us until they see we respect ourselves. One way they read that - when we stand up for ourselves. I've seen that happen so many times, from teenagers to adults. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good for you! Sometimes we have to be our own best friends and demand to heard and to have respect. Great job sister-friend, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good for you. You should always stand up for yourself and your children. My son to has Asperger Syndrom and ADHD and so i constantly have to stand up for his right s and his actions with others. I just wanted to tell you im Following you form FF.

    ReplyDelete
  21. One of the things we always do is tend to put our needs last. We are so used to being the giving one that we forget that we are entitled to be respected by those around us. I am glad that you are standing up for yourself. You go girl.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I would LOVE your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails