Life changing true stories told to encourage, empower and inspire us!

Bookmark and Share

"Fill your mind with light, happiness, hope, feelings of security and strength, and soon your life will reflect these qualities." ~Unknown

Email me anytime: coreen.velvetoversteel@gmail.com

"The Greatest gift that you can give to others is the gift of unconditional love and acceptance!" ~Brian Tracy

All post and stories are the sole property of Velvet Over Steel aka Coreen Trost. I write and create post in order to help others, so share as you want. I just ask that you link back or give VOS credit. Some of the stories are going into a book in progress. Thank You ALL.. for your support and help!!
"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader." ~ John Quincy Adams

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Life Lessons and Blessings

This past week has been full of both Life Lessons and a Lot of Blessings!

My oldest son had finals and starts a new clinical tomorrow. He's going to be a physical therapist with lots more clinical assignments during the next year. I’m so excited for him!

My middle son who is a Freelance Graphic Designer got a new job in a large Chicago company's Graphic Design department. He starts tomorrow. I’m so happy for him!

My youngest son who is in culinary school, is going to be cooking for a children's home tomorrow afternoon for lab hours. He's going to do such a good job. So proud of all three of my sons!

On Friday, my middle son came from Chicago for the weekend. We all went out to dinner and hung out. We had a great time! Since the boys have gotten older it isn't as often that we can all get together. So this was a Hugh Blessing to me as well as the Blessings in each of their lives right now and the weeks ahead. We are all feeling very blessed, proud and happy for them!

Until Friday evening, when I was with all my boys, I had a trying week full of life lessons. I learned that you can't change anyone but yourself. I learned that I still need to stand up for myself more. Or at least speak my mind, ask questions and protect myself more. I learned that I am still naive and too trusting. I learned that I shouldn't tell some people absolutely anything, because it will get twisted and turned around. Basically I learned to not trust, at least not for a while.

I felt like once again gossip and selfish people have affected my life. And once again I've learned to keep to myself, for my own sake. I don't know if it's this area, this state or what it is exactly. Regardless of the reason, it's very stressful and causes a lot of pain to the people it effects. I have thought long and hard to figure out what I need to do to protect myself and know when and whom to trust.  I've decided to make some big changes in my life as to the people I want to surround myself with and those I do not want to be around anymore.

After hearing my sons talk about all the things they have going on in their lives and how happy they are right now; I decided that I have to make the changes in my own life, so I am as happy and fulfilled as my sons are. That was a goal as a parent for my boys their whole lives. Now I think it's my turn.

So all of my old friends and new blogging friends, please help me keep my goals and help push me forward whenever I start to stumble. PLEASE! I need true friends who I can trust and lean on. I promise to return the favor whenever any of you need Me! Promise!

http://media.photobucket.com

http://www.velvetoversteel.com/

20 comments:

  1. nice. not that it happened but that you are doing something about it...the people you surround yourself with will in many ways dictate where you get in life...

    some pretty cool stuff with the boys...you are blessed. smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you must be an amazing mom to have such successful children. Take joy in their accomplishments and turn your back on gossip and other people's negativity.. Push on, Sister. Sounds like you are off to a good start.

    love to you
    kelly
    http://www.kellysideas.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coreen it is funny the feeling you are having, well not funny, I mean it in the sense I have had the same week, similar.....I am going to speak up though, in fact I have my letter in my email archives ready to hit send.....it is a tough decision for me because I am risking the friendship, however, I also realize if it is a true friendship it will be fine....I will let you know, hang in there, and YES be true to yourself first and foremost:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Coreen!
    SO nice to meet you and so happy that you came by my home!
    The day that I learned that I was responsible for how I responded to my circumstances was the most revelatory day in my life!
    The day I learned to laugh at myself and give myself grace was another one of those days!
    I pray for you to have much growth and hope as you learn to make boundaries.
    I've been there, where you are, too!
    Happy for you that you realize, as I had to, that the only person that you can actually change is you.
    This is the first BIG step.
    Scary, but freeing- is it not?
    I loved reading your thoughts!
    You are welcome at my home any time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must be proud of your three sons.
    Now you decided it's time for you,
    You have already taken the first step.
    I find in Blogland(as I call it) there is always someone here should the need arise,
    One is never alone.
    Good luck.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So wonderful to hear how well your sons are doing! I can just feel the pride in your voice. And I am sure a big smile on your lips.
    Sorry about some of the people around you! That can be a pain. You do learn not to trust and that is sad but necessary. I have found that as I get older, I have fewer and fewer people around me. Makes it easier. And I rely on myself at all times. I take responsibility for what I want and when I want it. And I don't share private and personal thoughts. Just don't! No need too!
    They are safe with me.
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  7. am so happy to hear about your sons and the great outing you had with them...about the experience bit..no it is not state specific/you-specific..it happens to all of us..happened to me.. and i learnt my lessons too.... just know that people look at world and hear things the way do because of WHO THEY ARE...it has nothing to do with US...about being there for you....FOREVER is what i can say :) ...take care and hope everything that you aspire for is achieved :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that is a lesson that we have to keep relearning as we meet new people. To me, everyone is trustworthy until proven otherwise. Then, I just change my approach to them. I still get disappointed in people but at least I am not jaded but still protected.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I completely relate with what you are saying because since I have moved to a new town a few months ago, I have really struggled with making friends and finding the right activities for me personally.

    I am so happy your sons are all doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful to hear your sons are all doing so well! You must be so proud of them.

    I've been struggling lately too so I can empathize with how you're feeling. I don't make friends easily because I don't trust others. I've been backstabbed and gossiped about one too many times!

    I'm glad you recognize that changes need to be made and that only you can make them. And I also know that whatever happens for you, it'll all work itself out fo the best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thats what we do, nurse them till they are of an age to go it alone, then its me me me time, so u go for it xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow what an inspiring post. It's lovely to meet you :o) Isn't wonderful when our children do well for themselves and lead happy lives.

    ReplyDelete
  13. No one loves ya like a true friend! I am blessed by a friend who knows what I need before I do. Ya just can't beat that!

    I just wanted to thank ya for your sweet comment and hoppin' on my blog. I sure hope ya enjoy the ride!

    God bless and in the words of that silly old Granny Clampett, "ya'll come back now, ya hear!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an inspiring post! I was truly traumatized when my kids left me and went on to their own lives..for a little while..then they had kids; lots of them! I choose to be around only positive people now; I have just had too much negativity in my life..If you need a little inspiration stop by for a visit..

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the pride you have in your sons. I love your honest admissions. Thank you so much for your comment on my blog. I'm following you because you have a blog worth following!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Knowing who to trust can be a risky proposition. But don't ever give up; as much as other people may hurt and disappoint us, we need other people and they need us. And how blessed we are to have the ultimate friend in Jesus.

    Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I stumbled across your blog and wanted to say hi.
    Take a minute an check my blog out
    I have lots of great giveaways going on.
    Thanks :)

    ethertonphotography.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've done a wonderful job with how your boys turned out. I can feel how proud you are of your sons. :)

    Yes, you do need to focus on yourself, too. {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi
    Thanks for finding my blog through FF and for your lovely message.You are really inspiring...I've been going through some really tough times and reading your posts kind of made me feel better...like Im not alone in this :)))anyway I am your new follower now too:)

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awww. It is so awful that some people have hurt you the way they have. Hope things get better. I'll make sure i pinch you when you forget! Go girl!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I would LOVE your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails