Life changing true stories told to encourage, empower and inspire us!

Bookmark and Share

"Fill your mind with light, happiness, hope, feelings of security and strength, and soon your life will reflect these qualities." ~Unknown

Email me anytime: coreen.velvetoversteel@gmail.com

"The Greatest gift that you can give to others is the gift of unconditional love and acceptance!" ~Brian Tracy

All post and stories are the sole property of Velvet Over Steel aka Coreen Trost. I write and create post in order to help others, so share as you want. I just ask that you link back or give VOS credit. Some of the stories are going into a book in progress. Thank You ALL.. for your support and help!!
"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader." ~ John Quincy Adams

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Every Monday Matters ~ Eat Healthy

 
FACTS
Annual costs for chronic diseases in the U.S. is big money:

          $117 billion for obesity

          $73.4 billion for high
          blood pressure

          $448 billion for heart
          disease and strokes

          $50 billion for weight-loss aids, diet foods, supplements,
          and weight-loss medications—and obesity is still increasing

79% likelihood exists that an overweight child will become an overweight adult.

75% of adults don’t eat the recommended daily 5 or more servings of fruits and vegetables.

Snack consumption by children has increased 300% from 20 years ago.

400,000 people die annually from poor eating habits and laziness.

French fries are the most eaten vegetable in the U.S.

TAKE ACTION TODAY
If you suffer from or have a family history of any of the afore mentioned chronic conditions or diseases, consult your family physician for dietary counseling.

Although every individual is unique in his or her dietary needs, here are some ideas to help all of us:

Eat more dark green vegetables, legumes, fruits, whole grains, low-fat milk products, and lean meats.


          Eat slowly so that you will feel full before you’ve overeaten.

          Don’t reward yourself or children with food.

          Limit snacking.

          Develop a routine and eat at similar times each day.

          Drink plenty of water.

          Eat to live; don’t live to eat.

YOU MATTER
You deserve to be in good health. For most, diabetes, hypertension, and other obesity-related chronic diseases are preventable by simply eating healthy and exercising. You will feel better than ever both mentally and physically—the only way to really live. If you don’t want to do it for yourself or your wallet, do it for those who love you. Just start…one day at a time.



Monday used to be the least favorite day of the week, but that is changing. EMM is based on the idea that every Monday people can make a difference in their life and the lives of those around them. No matter how big or small the actions, they matter. And not only do people have the power to make change, they have a social responsibility to do so. Not out of guilt, but out of an appreciation for every living thing in the world. Together, each person can make a difference in the world and raise the collective consciousness, thereby creating a legacy worth participating in…one Monday at a time.
For more information about the EMM movement visit: http://www.everymondaymatters.com/
Bookmark and Share 

13 comments:

  1. EXCELLENT post! I think I will read it again in order to cement these good facts into the brain!

    Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great tips!! I really need to start back to eating healthy again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips, Coreen.... Weight has been a problem for me all of my adult life ---since my first son was born (and he's 47 now).... I finally have learned how to eat healthy... One thing which has REALLY helped me is to drink ALOT of water each day, as much as 6-8 glasses a day. It also helps to eat 3 normal meals a day and cut out the snacks.

    Tain't easy though....
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in good shape. Round is a shape!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I really need to eat better. I should probably also eat several small meals a day too as opposed to one or two large ones.

    Well, one good thing about starting school - I won't be able to snack nearly as much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very informative post. Indeed, so many only think about weight as being esthetically not pleasing, but it is also very dangerous to our health, giving rise to so many diseases.
    I have found it very easy to keep my weight down over the years - if we choose fruits and vegetables, we can actually never over eat - I feel full every day and my weight keeps low.;)
    What great sentiments to start the new year with.;)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always what I consider to eat healthy, I drink mostly water, never eat between meals yet the weight still won't budge, It may be due to lack of excercise as in the wonter I don't walk so much so roll on the better weather.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one kick in my rear. I'll get working. I will. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tips and a wonderful reminder. I must hone my focus!!
    Thanks
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tend to eat very healthy and drink lots of water, although I slacked a bit over the holidays. Back on track starting today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. great post!!! thanks for sharing this with us!!! am checking the links right away...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, thank you, thank you for this post and reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ooo this is a great one to start the year on...i could stand to lose about 10 pounds...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I would LOVE your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails