Life changing true stories told to encourage, empower and inspire us!

Bookmark and Share

"Fill your mind with light, happiness, hope, feelings of security and strength, and soon your life will reflect these qualities." ~Unknown

Email me anytime: coreen.velvetoversteel@gmail.com

"The Greatest gift that you can give to others is the gift of unconditional love and acceptance!" ~Brian Tracy

All post and stories are the sole property of Velvet Over Steel aka Coreen Trost. I write and create post in order to help others, so share as you want. I just ask that you link back or give VOS credit. Some of the stories are going into a book in progress. Thank You ALL.. for your support and help!!
"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader." ~ John Quincy Adams

Monday, August 30, 2010

Every Monday Matters - Read a Book!

Google Image
What is the Every Monday Matters program?

Monday used to be the least favorite day of the week, but that is changing. EMM is based on the idea that every Monday people can make a difference in their life and the lives of those around them. No matter how big or small the actions, they matter. And not only do people have the power to make change, they have a social responsibility to do so. Not out of guilt, but out of an appreciation for every living thing in the world. Together, each person can make a difference in the world and raise the collective consciousness, thereby creating a legacy worth participating in…one Monday at a time.

This Week's EMM: Read a Book!

FACTS

- 1 in 4 Americans don’t read a single book per year, while the average person reads 7.

- More than half of today’s adults are literary readers, meaning they read novels, mysteries, contemporary and classic fiction, short stories, plays, or poetry.

- Leisure reading has increased 10% over the last 6 years for all ethnicities.

- 58% of women read for leisure compared to 50% of men.

- 43% of all literary readers perform volunteer and charity work compared to 17% of non-literary readers. The more books people read the more active and involved they are in their communities through volunteerism, philanthropy, and politics.

- Book buying constitutes less than 6% of total recreational spending while spending on music, videos, computers, and software constitutes roughly 25%.

TAKE ACTION TODAY!

+ Read a book you’ve never read before. If you don’t have one on your shelf, go to the library, local bookstore, or order one online.

+ Find a book on the bestseller list. (http://www.nytimes.com/pages/books/bestseller/index.html)

+ Exchange books for only the cost of postage. (http://bookmooch.com/)

+ Join a book club at the local public library or start one with your friends or co-workers.

+ Give books to people as gifts.

YOU MATTER

Reading is like exercising—mental and physical benefits flourish with regular practice. Reading improves language skills, vocabulary and spelling skills; it introduces new ideas, perspectives and information; it staves off the effects of aging by keeping your mind active; it provides a vehicle for mental escape and creativity; and it relaxes, entertains, and inspires your soul. Take time out to read today…this page doesn’t count.

Learn more about the "Every Monday Matters" movement at: http://www.everymondaymatters.com/

Every Monday Matters is all about YOU. Remember, YOU have the power to make a difference. It all starts with YOU.
Bookmark and Share 

18 comments:

  1. Hi Coreen...finally able to upload your blog, and it is still running slowly over here. I have not read a book in years. I read books with my little one, and I read lots of blogs:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is good constructive advice, thanks for sharing,

    Yvonne,

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love to read...several books a week...and i think reading is an important habit that starts young...my 7 year old is reading chapter books really well on his own now and loving it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful Post!! It is the part of our education we tend to take for granted. The stats were a little scary though. :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this is a geat post. I can't leave without my Kindle app for iPod!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a good reason to read a book...I do read a lot of blogs, no excuse!
    kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am afraid reading has gone down the tubes lately, probably due to computers, satellite T.V., and other tech gizmos. Sending cards and thank you notes in the mail is also mostly a thing of the past, because of e-mail and texting. Progress has it's drawbacks, and one is manners.

    ReplyDelete
  8. okay, I am totally inspired and TAKING ACTION! You inspire me to study. :) :)

    (Oh, by the way, I agree with Deb- each time I visit you, my window freezes for 5 minutes and I have to shut and restart my firefox. :( I thought it was just me until now.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this very important message!! You are so right... we all need to read more. I know I do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm afraid that I've never been a huge reader... I read for information and not so much for pleasure. Even when I was a little girl, my mother would get me started on a good mystery ---and then expect me to take over and continue reading. She loved to read --and it bothered her that I never did.

    I am such a visual person. I even struggle reading directions when I need to. I want someone to SHOW me or TELL me... ha... That's why I love TV... Hubby and I watch alot of great TV shows and love them (mostly dramas)... Does that count????? ha ha

    I do read---but it is usually books about good health and things like that which effect my life. Hubby and I read the Bible every single day --and that is important.

    I do think that reading and learning is important. I LOVE to write ---and journal ---and am always busy doing something. SO--I guess we all can't do the same things...

    Great post... Made me THINK.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. yes, everyday is a reader day for me lol, especially reading superb posts like yours xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hadn't read a book in awhile but I had a new one I kept looking at on my nightstand thinking I should start it. Finally did yesterday and I'm enjoying it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree totally...can't imagine my life without books...I love that little quote that says..."So many books...so little time"....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post! I love to read, but finding time with 3 kids and a full-time job outside of the home make finding time challenging. I usually go through reading binges where I will read 3-4 books in a short period of time and then not read for a few months. I just checked out Sarah's Key from our public library. Can't wait to start reading.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Coreen, I love this post. I love reading. I'm going to look into exchanging books for the price of a stamp - sounds fantastic.

    Thank you for passing by and leaving such an encouraging comment for me and Ella. We are grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful post! I love to read and fight to find time to do it. I am currently reading a book by Mary Higgins Clark...half way through it! Yeah!
    I only have 30 or so more books to read piled up next to my chair!! Sigh!! Need more time to read!!
    Thanks hun
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay! A great post. I'm an avid reader and I always encourage people to read. My brother is mildly dyslexic and had a terrible time in school. I would buy him hunting, fishing, and outdoor magazines (his interests at the time) and he would read them, cover to cover. Now, he reads as fast, or faster than I do. And he comprehends. My co-teacher's son struggled with reading until he found a book that interested him. He has improved 3 grade levels! When I was little, there were these commercials that came on tv-RIF. Reading Is Fundamental. Yep, it sure is!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I would LOVE your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails