“Don't Make Assumptions. Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.” ~ Don Miguel Ruiz
You deliver a message every time you speak.“Be Impeccable With Your Word. Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.” ~ Don Miguel Ruiz
If you decide that you want to help change the world, the easiest way is by practicing the 'five agreements': be impeccable with your word; don’t take anything personally; don’t make assumptions; always do your best; and be skeptical, but learn to listen. These are the tools to change your world, to change the world, and they are nothing but pure common sense. If you practice the five agreements, if you make them your way of life, there won’t be any more war in your head. There won’t be any more war with your loved ones. There will be peace.
You deliver a message every time you speak. The question is: do you deliver the truth, or do you deliver lies? When the message you deliver comes from truth and love, you are happier. And just by being happier, everyone benefits because your joy, your happiness, your heaven is contagious. When you are happy, the people around you are happy too, and it inspires them to change their own world.
We represent a whole legacy, and when I say “we” I’m speaking of all humans. Our legacy is love, it’s joy, it’s happiness. Let’s enjoy this world. Let’s enjoy one another. We are meant to love one another, not to hate one another. Let’s stop believing that our differences make us superior or inferior to one another. Let’s not believe that lie. Let’s not be afraid that our different colours make us different people. Who cares? It’s just another lie. We don’t have to believe all the lies and superstitions that control our lives. We can return to the truth, and be messengers of truth. We can change our whole way of thinking, and have a wonderful love affair with life. It’s incredible what we can do if we really want to do it. All we need is to be aware of what we are doing, and to return to the authenticity we were born with.
This is an invitation to be authentic, to follow your heart, to be free of superstitions and lies. And I’m not asking you to try to change the world. Don’t try – just do it. Take the action today. By adopting the Five Agreements, you will create peace in your head, in your own world, and thereby help to create peace in the entire world.
The Five Agreements:
1. Be Impeccable With Your Word – Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.
2. Don’t Take Anything Personally – Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.
3. Don’t Make Assumptions – Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness, and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.
4. Always Do Your Best – Your best is going to change from moment to moment. It will be different when you are healthy as opposed to when you are sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse, and regret.
5. Be Skeptical, But Learn to Listen – Don’t believe yourself or anybody else. Use the power of doubt to question everything you hear: Is it really the truth? Listen to the intent behind the words, and you will understand the real message.
~ By don Miguel Ruiz jr
“Don't Take Anything Personally. Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won't be the victim of needless suffering.” ~ Don Miguel Ruiz
The Four Agreements and The Fifth Agreement by Don Miguel Ruiz are two of the most life changing books I've read. In my opinion they both should be required reading in high school. They are enlightening and extremely thought provoking. 'Character' and 'Integrety' building at its best!
Free Podcast: The Way of the Desert podcast - Co-Creator Network By don Miguel Ruiz jr