Life changing true stories told to encourage, empower and inspire us!

Bookmark and Share

"Fill your mind with light, happiness, hope, feelings of security and strength, and soon your life will reflect these qualities." ~Unknown

Email me anytime: coreen.velvetoversteel@gmail.com

"The Greatest gift that you can give to others is the gift of unconditional love and acceptance!" ~Brian Tracy

All post and stories are the sole property of Velvet Over Steel aka Coreen Trost. I write and create post in order to help others, so share as you want. I just ask that you link back or give VOS credit. Some of the stories are going into a book in progress. Thank You ALL.. for your support and help!!
"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader." ~ John Quincy Adams

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Life is too short, not to Love and be Loved right now!

The worst thing you can do for love is deny it; so when you find that special someone, don't let anyone or anything to get in your way. ~ http://www.thinkexist.com/
I should be posting my 'Happy Friday' post right now, but to be honest, I'm not in the right mood at the moment.  I had a rough day butting heads with my youngest son.  I don't like those days, even though they are few and far between.  Part of being a parent is not giving in to things you know are not 'best' for our children or letting our older 'asperger' children wear us down.   Still, it is draining and not my favorite times of being a parent.

Each time we have one of these days, we both learn some valuable lessons.  And afterwards we also have good 'heartfelt' conversations and get a lot of built up feelings out.  Which usually involves my son talking about his broken heart from repeated rejections from his dad, along with not having the friendships that he would like.  For me, it always involves letting out some hurts, loneliness and empty heart aches of my own.

This always gets me to thinking hard about Life and the things that I feel I am still missing in my own.  Such as finding the 'one' true love and partnership that I know I deserve and even more... I Want!  I also know that when it does come along or works out finally, I am going to cherish it because Life is too short not to Love and be Loved!! 

smashingapps.com

The following post was started a while back and saved for just such a day when I needed to read it.  I thought some of my friends may need to read this too...
Hugs & Much Love to you All,
~ Coreen

'A Story of Life' ....
Lisa Beamer on Good Morning America - If you remember, she's the wife of Todd Beamer who said 'Let's Roll!' and helped take down the plane over Pennsylvania that was heading for Washington DC back on 9/11.

She said it's the little things that she misses most about Todd, such as hearing the garage door open as he came home, and her children running to meet him.

Lisa recalled this story:

"I had a very special teacher in high school many years ago whose husband died suddenly of a heart attack. About a week after his death, she shared some of her insight with a classroom of students. As the late afternoon sunlight came streaming in through the classroom windows and the class was nearly over, she moved a few things aside on the edge of her desk and sat down there.

With a gentle look of reflection on her face, she paused and said, ' Class is over, I would like to share with all of you, a thought that is unrelated to class, but which I feel is very important. Each of us is put here on earth to learn, share, love, appreciate and give of ourselves. None of us knows when this fantastic experience will end. It can be taken away at any moment.

Perhaps this is "God's", way of telling us that we must make the most out of every single day. Her eyes, beginning to water, she went on, 'So I would like you all to make me a promise. From now on, on your way to school, or on your way home, find something beautiful to notice.

It doesn't have to be something you see, it could be a scent, perhaps of freshly baked bread wafting out of someone's house, or it could be the sound of the breeze slightly rustling the leaves in the trees, or the way the morning light catches one autumn leaf as it falls gently to the ground. Please look for these things, and cherish them. For, although it may sound trite to some, these things are the "stuff" of life. The little things we are put here on earth to enjoy. The things we often take for granted.

The class was completely quiet. We all picked up our books and filed out of the room silently. That afternoon, I noticed more things on my way home from school than I had that whole semester. Every once in a while, I think of that teacher and remember what an impression she made on all of us, and I try to appreciate all of those things that sometimes we all overlook.

Take notice of something special you see on your lunch hour today. Go barefoot. Or walk on the beach at sunset. Stop off on the way home tonight to get a double dip ice cream cone. For as we get older, it is not the things we did that we often regret, but the things we didn't do.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." ~ http://www.thinkexist.com/

Bookmark and Share

14 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about you and your son. The nice thing is the resolution and the heart to hearts. I can only hope I get the same someday...right now we do, but they are younger.
    Nice story Coreen. Have a good weekend.. Big hugs to you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Coreen, That 'tough love' can be hard---but we do need to stick to our guns sometimes as parents when we know what is RIGHT for our kids... Glad you all talked and that things are fine.. We ALL grow from these times...

    My words for you tonight: Just be glad your son is close by --and that you can have these talks with him. Once they are grown and gone, you will yearn for those times when they were younger. I miss my sons so much...

    Great story...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hear you...sorry it was one of those days for you...and i hope some of those dreams come true for ya...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that last quote! Yes, we all need to see the beauty in the samll things, keep our eyes peeled for the beauty everywhere that God shows us. He does show us all the time, but most people are so involved with other things, they forget to just stop and stare!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there! I know what it feels like and trust me, there will be days where you just want to hide underneath the covers. I hope it gets better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Coreen, you are one in a million and I know one day you will find someone who will thinks this and love you unconditionally.
    I do not have kids but can with my empathy and intellect relate to and understand what it means when you feel in conflict with them and when you have to be more a parent and a teacher than a friend...
    The story you end your post with can nothing but bring tears into my eyes. It is such an inspiration in times of need, to se how others can cope with such a deep and endless pain.
    Have a lovely weekend,
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hoping the love of your life walks up soon!! And you are so right. It is the things we didn't do that we remember for sure.
    Have a great day today
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I know I'm right I fight all the way,

    Have a good week-end

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is so true, we all deserve Love. I know the kids are tough love, but necessary.
    kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope that today is better and that you'll have a great weekend. Inspiring words about appreciating the little things. Twice now, while working on a temporary job, I've gotten up from my desk, walked over to where a window meets a door leading to a stairway, and have run into a man wanting to politely open the door for me. "No thanks," I gently refuse, "I'm just here taking a little break to admire the snow." Today he told me his name.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. being a parent....sometimes it's hard..and to watch your child struggle is even harder...but the best are those hugs...and the puppy dog eyes....and the times you know you'd give your life for his...About love...you totally deserve the best Coreen...Me too...keeping an open heart.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those hard days do come and sometimes we are prepared for them and sometimes not, but if we are wise, we'll always learn something from how these times are handled and after.
    I'm glad that the resolutions get to happen or it would be hard on the heart.

    I wished many parents had resolutions after things go haywire.

    How old are your sons?

    And that story was just beautiful! I love doing those things.
    I take off my shoes in church and walk around. It feels so free.
    Before school I call the kids to come watch the sunrise. It's God's beautiful gift.
    I make excitement about the sunset.

    One morning after my son went off to school. My daughter and I sat and watched a spider made her web. It was just so amazing. I even filmed it.
    Just the right light from the sun on the silk....

    Yes it is the little things.

    I can't wait to buy ice cream on cones so it will drip drop as we lick...yes God wills , summer comes for this delight.

    *HUGS*
    I hope soon you'll feel a bit better and keep carrying on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing with us this story, it's beautiful!. These 'stuff' of life you wrote are so important...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I would LOVE your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails