Life changing true stories told to encourage, empower and inspire us!

Bookmark and Share

"Fill your mind with light, happiness, hope, feelings of security and strength, and soon your life will reflect these qualities." ~Unknown

Email me anytime: coreen.velvetoversteel@gmail.com

"The Greatest gift that you can give to others is the gift of unconditional love and acceptance!" ~Brian Tracy

All post and stories are the sole property of Velvet Over Steel aka Coreen Trost. I write and create post in order to help others, so share as you want. I just ask that you link back or give VOS credit. Some of the stories are going into a book in progress. Thank You ALL.. for your support and help!!
"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader." ~ John Quincy Adams

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Half Full Friday & Aloha Friday question of the week!

"There are three things that a child can teach an adult:  To be happy for no reason; to be always busy doing something;  And to know how to demand - with all one's might - what one wants." - Paulo Coelho
Half Full Friday is a series of weekly posts that Eye Girl originally started in June 2009.  Now the it is hosted by Sprinkles at Wyldechylde.  We believe that a lot of our happiness is determined by our attitude about the things that happen to us. So by participating, we are deciding to see the glass as half full, instead of half empty. We are choosing to concentrate on the positives, instead of dwelling on the negatives. Our Half Full Friday posts are a way to do just that. They are a list of the things in our life that have brought us happiness over the past week. We are determined to find the something good in every day. Are you?
Laughter, joy and happiness is healthy for you. They say laughter is the best medicine. It can cure illness and extends life. A good laugh boosts the immune system, relieves depression and stress, relaxes all the body's muscles, is good exercise for the heart and helps prevent heart attacks, it cleanses the lungs, and provides an overall sense of well being.
We don't need to wait for someone else to bring us happiness - happiness is a choice we can make at any time we want. You can choose to look on the good side of things and take life more lightly, or you can choose to think gloomy and sad. It's up to you. Life is the movie you see through your own eyes - it's up to you how you take it.
Let there be
more joy and laughter
in your living.

~ Eileen Caddy ~
For the next week, we challenge you to keep a list of at least one thing that brought you happiness each day.  This is what I'm Happy for this week:

  • I'm happy for being alive!  Yes, alive.  I had a total of 5 (small, yet scary just the same) gas leaks on my New furnace last weekend... with 2 of my sons home sleeping.  So glad I came back home after running local errands (instead of driving to the 'city' for groceries) Saturday morning.  This was the 3rd time since my furnace was put in.  Thank goodness I am extremely sensitive to smells. 
  • I'm happy that my son had a good first week back at college!
  • I'm happy the baby shower we gave a co-worker went very well!  She's having a boy.  Very excited & Happy for her.
  • I'm happy for the positive energy I have and used to get a great deal done in the last week!
  • I'm happy I'm close to having my entire basement cleaned out!  Goodwill 'loves' me! lol
  • I'm happy my oldest son is coming home again this week to spend time with his brother!
  •  I also want to say Thank you to Jules, for the frying pan picture!!  Loved it!! :-)                        
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~H. Jackson Browne

It's also "ALOHA FRIDAY" Everyone!!  If you want to join in the fun? Post your own question on your blog and leave your link at the Aloha Friday post at An Island Life. Then you can visit the other participants if you wish...It’s a great way to make new bloggy friends or see what people are thinking about this week and join in a conversation or two if you like.
"You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance." ~Franklin P. Jones  
My question:  What is something a child/children have taught you?

My answer:   Most Adults are filled with fear of the unknown in each day... instead of anticipation and excitement that children have.  We are not born with 'fear'.  We are born Happy and wanting to try new things without fear holding us back!  You can see that with Children.  They don't have fear... they are Happy until they are filled with fear.  By the time we are Adults, we have... sadly, turned that all around.
"You are worried about seeing him spend his early years in doing nothing. What?! Is it nothing to be happy? Nothing to skip, play, and run around all day long? Never in his life will he be so busy again." ~Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Emile, 1762
Love & Hugs!
~ Coreen
Bookmark and Share

20 comments:

  1. Hi Coreen, I love reading about the things which make you happy... They make me happy just reading them. Thanks for sharing...

    We need to have the FAITH of a child. Children just believe --and don't question things. When my friend's husband died, her little granddaughter told his Grandma this: "Not to worry, Grandma. Grandpa is sitting with Jesus now."

    Isn't that just awesome? OH--for the faith of a child.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that so true. Having small children, I see it everyday - their determination without fear in going for their pursuit.

    I am glad for your happy list. I hope your sons will have fun spending time together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oy what havent they...my boys keep me young...they remind me play...to enjoy every moment...to smile...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post and I love your quotes!!! Happiness and joy are so different. Happiness depends on the situation, it is outer. Joy comes from within and we can then find joy in anything. Almost all fears are learned. I think that's why so many people long for the innocence of childhood. Isn't part of innocence havin no fear and no realization of fears in the world?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am happy you are alive too my friend...how scary! So nice your coworker is having a boy, we sure love our boys right? Have a wonderful weekend..I love the positive energy you are putting out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Coreen, how scary with your problems with the furnace that would keep me awake at night. I simply am afraid of things like that.;)
    I have no children nor am I around them much (sadly), so I can not say directly to have learn anything from a child. Perhaps though I have managed to keep my own childish mindset nevertheless and the curiosity and inquisitive mind that is so significant of a child's behavior.;)
    Have a great Friday and weekend,
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like reading what makes you happy, happiness is a wonderful emotion .

    Take care.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My grandchildren teach me to have joy in my heart and to explore and create! To find fun in everything!!
    My son taught me daring and courage!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are welcome Coreen but your frying pan says it best ;)

    That is the exact reason I have electric heat! Not as warm but gas scares the doo-doo out of me.

    I would have to add prejudice to fear. We are not born bias either. Have a great weekend my friend.
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  10. How to appreciate the moment.

    Have a great day!
    http://harrietandfriends.com/2011/01/what-are-you-craving/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so with you on laughter and happy for your happiness this week!

    I've read that even if you have nothing to smile about, the act of smiling, actually makes you feel happier. Something to do with seratonin or endorphins - or, you know, one of those things:)

    Hope that furnace gets straightened out.

    Loved the Rousseau quote, too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My children have taught me to slow down and actually look at things -- the small things that we tend to rush past. The world is always in such a hurry and it's nice to realize that sometimes you just need to sit down and contemplate that blade or grass or that funny looking bug!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The kids at work just remind me to be happier. They are so happy 95% of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your happy always makes me smile! :)

    Princess Nagger has taught me to appreciate the little things - and have more fun! :)

    Aloha Friday Follow: Detention

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stay Happy and glad you have a list. Enjoy every moment. yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's really scary about your furnace! I'm glad that it's fixed (I hope for good!) so you don't have to worry about it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My son teaches me daily to enjoy life!

    ReplyDelete
  18. There are two major things my children have taught me so far.

    1. About Love.
    In my life growing up into adulthood. I've rarely encountered love or someone caring for me because they loved me. I could count the times on one hand that I received a hug as a child. I do not have that feeling of attachment that comes from love/bonding that a child is supposed to be given. So I worry about my relationship with my husband and children. What if I don't have this thing that I need and so remain unattached.

    However when I had my son. After a few weeks or so I was just looking at him one day and that was the first time I felt the urgency of love. I could feel it. define it and know what it was to share it. It was a most wonderful feeling I can't forget. I've never felt that again, but it has taught me something.

    2. Forgiveness. As my children are growing, over and over I feel that I am not being a good mother and I'll be swinging a bat at myself, but the same child that I feel I have hurt terribly by screaming at him/her or just being a parent bully to, would come to me and give me a hug around my middle and say, mommy I love you always you know. It never fails to bring me tears.

    So I learn that I can forgive easily if I make the choice to knowing that everyone is broken and will make mistakes. I can forgive myself. I can always apologize to my children and explain the emotions and it can be healthy.

    I wasn't taught how to deal with emotions/feelings, but now I'm learning and teaching along with my children. It's quite interesting.

    They are teaching me about forgiving the dailies.

    If this all makes any sense....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I would LOVE your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails