Life changing true stories told to encourage, empower and inspire us!

Bookmark and Share

"Fill your mind with light, happiness, hope, feelings of security and strength, and soon your life will reflect these qualities." ~Unknown

Email me anytime: coreen.velvetoversteel@gmail.com

"The Greatest gift that you can give to others is the gift of unconditional love and acceptance!" ~Brian Tracy

All post and stories are the sole property of Velvet Over Steel aka Coreen Trost. I write and create post in order to help others, so share as you want. I just ask that you link back or give VOS credit. Some of the stories are going into a book in progress. Thank You ALL.. for your support and help!!
"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader." ~ John Quincy Adams

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Asperger Syndrome "Falling Through the Cracks" Part II


I have fought for my youngest son with Asperger Syndrome his entire life.  First with doctors tofind answers to his developmental delays; then with educators for assistive technology and inclusion programs to help him learn and to be independent.  It was an uphill battle to get my son an education and it continues to be to get him job training and employment opportunities.  What my son wants the most! Then there has been the mission to find him mentors and social interaction groups.  Both of which he needs to learn and maintain social skills.  Something those with Asperger's lack or have noticeable delays. 

Through all of this I have encountered bureaucracy and the excuse that Asperger Syndrome 'falls through the cracks' in terms of services and programs.  Even trying to find him a mentor and social situations to work on his social skills, has been much more difficult than I expected after getting a diagnosis and answers to his difficulties. 

It has been extremely frustrating for me over the years.  I never understand why there isn't more to help these young people to become independent and self sufficient.  In this day and age, these highly educated people should know better.  So why isn't more done to 'fill in the cracks' for Asperger Syndrome? 

It's not money.  I've found waivers, funding and have even offered to pay for services myself.  A main problem is not having a set plan or procedure in place.  Then once that is determined, there isn't anyone, group or program, to implement these 'plans'.   I've had to find mentors and social interactions on my own and pay for them myself most of the time.  Which is fine, but what if I hadn't been able to?

My son is doing really well now and has come further than any doctor or educator ever thought he would.  However that is because I never stopped fighting for what he deserved and needed to succeed. 

What about all those kids that don't have anyone to fight for them?  What about them?  That is why I continue to write and talk about this, to hopefully help someone else and fight for all these young people who did not ask to be born with AS and certainly have done nothing to deserve the battles that encounter.  Both academically and emotionally in a society that judges people by the way they look and ridicules a person's 'qurcks' without knowing what it's like to live with Asperger's. 

If my son had a disability such as MR. CP or full Autism, he would have social interaction, activities, understanding along with compassion and a JOB. So what is the real issue or problem in our society, government and  the United States where we live, in regards to Asperger Syndrome? Does anyone know?   I'm just curious.
Bookmark and Share 

21 comments:

  1. I wish I knew the answer, there are many illnesses which don't get the proper support to bothe patient and parents/carers. Hope the situation improves in the future.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am glad your son is doing well...get some of the same frustrations wih some of the kids i work with...unfortuntely one is now in a treatment center which really has not clue how to work with him and i am trying to get it changed...

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing mom's wouldn't do for the wellness of our kids. I hope you do get answers, if not, at least you're putting the questions out there for people to be aware.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my dear, I wish I had answers to your questions but I do not. I can only tell you that when anyone describes normal as only being their interpretation, I run.

    It sounds to me like you are a god send. If you need people to champion your cause I'm right here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. having a patient mom like you is equal to 100 experts, moms always know best xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad that your son is well. He is so lucky he have you to fight for him. I feel sorry for those kids who are on the same situation but doesn't have anyone to fight for them.

    I do hope that this comment of mine would make even a little difference and it would reach the authorities who should make the move to help them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that Asperger is a tough one because in so many ways Asperger people are normal and so no one really knows what to do or how to accomodate them. My son has some legitimate difficulties that "normal" kids don't experience but he is normal enough that it is hard to get educators to take his personal disabilities seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am frustrated for you. What you've described just isn't fair. I've worked with students with cerebral palsy and severe autism, and they get loads of help in just about every area. But not one person that I know with Asperger's has had that same kind of treatment. (I'm not trying to group all disabilities together -- I'm just saying that who says which populations get attention and which don't?) I am on your side and hope things get better!

    Also, kudos to you for never stopping fighting for your son. I hope other mothers see you as a brilliant example. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know the answer either.
    Good for you for keeping up the fight..your son will reap the benefits!
    It is a shame that there are no programs though...just doesn't make sense.
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm convinced that God gave you your youngest son because he knew that you would fight for him. I'm just sad that you do have to fight.

    I don't know the answers. I would think a good portion is just lack of knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't have any answers for you, but am certainly glad that you can serve as an advocate for your son.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Sam does not have AS but has high functioning ASD. I think so many kids with AS "seem" so "normal" otherwise that there are those who do not think they really need as much assistance, which is nuts. Like you said, if our kids had CP or other disabilities which are more visible, there would be no question as to getting them what they need. We are starting our senior year this year, so I've only begun to face what you are facing now in terms of "now what?" once high school is over. Blessings to you on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i can say only one thing - your son is lucky to have a mother like you..the only thing i go thru while reading your post is this little pain in my heart (i have no control over it) and drops of tear which forcefully find their way in my eyes ....i know i cant do anything about it sitting here so far off..NOTHING..but i can pray and you are in my prayers EVERYDAY. i am proud of you....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you ALL for your comments, support, prayers and for spreading Asperger Syndrome Awareness! Brandon and I appreciate all of you so very much! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. glad that your son is doing well. i think that this diagnosis comes later to a child as people including doctors, med. professions don't know how to deal with this with families. anything that is out there go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think there is no one simple answer to this question. Many don't understand that aspergers syndrome is autism, just a different form. Many of our aspies are so smart that they dont' qualify for educational supports and the schools decide since there is no behavioral issues they can skirt by without providing the social supports that our children need. Also quite frankly, the districts know that the parents if given a choice of sueing them or providing therapies for their children on their own they will opt for the therapies. So for the districts its a win-win situation. But interestingly when it comes to zero tolerance policies our children are the first ones to fall under those punishments. Like I said no answers and not even questions, just a huge shake of the head at the intolerance of educators the ones that espouse tolerance for everyone except when it comes to showing tolerance for our children.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I may not be able to give any answers, but your courage has me inspired. Inspired like I cannot explain. Your blog is speaking volumes to millions that cannot express their gratitude to you in words.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I didn't realize that aspergers had problems with services I would have thought they would have treated it like High Functioning autism. That really sucks. I think more advocating needs to be done for these Aspergers Kids. They should be getting the same help. Thanks for joining the Special Needs Blog Hop. I am now following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We have to advocate for our child everyday. If we don't no one else will. Welcome to the Special Needs Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Some day. One mom at a time. :) We are Supermoms with Superkids!
    ~Jen B from the blog hop

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi! I'm visiting via the special needs blog hop! I have a 6 year old daughter with Asperger's. Well, her official diagnosis is high-functioning autism. Why? Because the state of California doesn't recognize Asperger's as autism and you don't get the same amount of help! I think Asperger's really IS autism and people should get the support they need!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I would LOVE your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails