Life changing true stories told to encourage, empower and inspire us!

Bookmark and Share

"Fill your mind with light, happiness, hope, feelings of security and strength, and soon your life will reflect these qualities." ~Unknown

Email me anytime: coreen.velvetoversteel@gmail.com

"The Greatest gift that you can give to others is the gift of unconditional love and acceptance!" ~Brian Tracy

All post and stories are the sole property of Velvet Over Steel aka Coreen Trost. I write and create post in order to help others, so share as you want. I just ask that you link back or give VOS credit. Some of the stories are going into a book in progress. Thank You ALL.. for your support and help!!
"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader." ~ John Quincy Adams

Friday, July 16, 2010

Please Help the Gulf Coast Abandoned Pets!

Families in the Gulf Coast are having to surrender their longtime family pets to the local animal shelters in record numbers because they cannot feed or support them due to sudden loss in income.

Many are fishermen and small business owners who are struggling to put food on the table for their spouses and kids now. It is NOT their fault….and with heavy hearts that these victims of the Gulf Oil Spill are giving up their family pets…..the shelters in the Gulf Region need help.

The terrified faces and scared look in the eyes of these pets tell the story…..these family pets are missing their beloved families and don’t know why they were given up and are in cages and runs now waiting to be adopted or on possible termination if not adopted out.
If you really are affected by the Gulf Oil Spill and want to do something tangible, now, to help…..then check out the links below; or call them at : 504-363-1333 or at 504-368-5191 ext.141; or go to CNN news main page and get info from there.


Bookmark and Share 

23 comments:

  1. That's nice of you making the plight of pet-owners (and the pets) known. This whole situation is horrible. A friend working down there described to me his seeing a dolphin wash up on the beach, covered in oil. We have family in FL and LA and are deeply concerned for them all. We have been to the beaches and grieve thinking about how they may be damaged for many years to come. I pray for God's intervention in the situation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be awful for all concerned especially the marine life, it may have a lasting effect for many years to come, hope a solution is found and quick

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sad!! I just can't imagine having to do this?!! We have yet to see the full disaster this is!! It is frightening!
    Thanks
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful, sincere, and loving plea. I myself have often wondered why on earth people tend to themselves when asking for help...food banks, etc. I've often wondered why there aren't more places where you can donate food to animal shelters. It seems so logical.

    You're doing a world of good with this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be honest I cannot check this out or my next post would be from somewhere on the Gulf Coast. Being unemployed has made me appreciate my furry friends more and should it come down to feeding them or me, well I don't need that much.

    Thanks for following my blog and I am returning the favor. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that is heartbreaking - I had no idea that the oil disaster extended into people having to give up their pets, how awful is that...
    I will check out that link; what a poignant post.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for hte link and making this practical. i am working on a story right now that ties intot he gulf spill...so many affected...

    ReplyDelete
  8. as usual.. i am touched by your internal beauty... i am trying to open the link but it is giving me issues...i will keep trying and will do whatever is possible in my capacity...take care

    ReplyDelete
  9. We tend to forget this affects more than just humans.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Taking care of the pets that people can no longer care for is a real problem. My only tip is be sure the lorganization you are donating money to really helps the animal shelters in the Gulf area or wherever you want it to go. There are several big name organizations out there that advertise as if their money goes to the local shelters, but in all reality very little does so just be careful with your money to make sure it really goes to help the affected animals and not their legislative agenda.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a blood courier, I often drive by the coast. It breaks my heart. Mankind is seldom kind.

    Those who make their living from the gulf waters have been devastated. I applaud you for your efforts to raise the consciousness of the rest of America to this terrible blight.

    Roland

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for posting the link.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is tragic, the fat cats have no clue what this has done to ordinary people, you are superb for bringing this to light xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. This just breaks my heart to even think about. My little dogs mean the world to me and I don't even want to think about having to give them up. I would be beyond devestated.

    Thanks for getting the word out and supporting these agencies. I truly wish there was something I could do but I can't even pay my mortgage and I don't live anywhere near there. I will keep them in my thoughts and prayers though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is super special! I have to say living in Houston, Texas we've done a lot of things to help those abandoned pets but there is still a lot of help needed and it's great to see others who appreciate and give shout-outs for such an amazing cause!

    ReplyDelete
  16. the whole situation is terrible sad....it's hard to watch grown men cry b/c their livihood has been taken from them and to see animals dripping in oil. I never thought of the pets suffering from all this too but of course.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so sad :( I hadn't heard about it before. I feel horrible for those pets. Hope they find good homes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh! So sad. Thanks for posting about this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hadn't heard or thought about the pets until a friend told me and then I saw the story on CNN that evening. These people are already experiencing depression from enormous loss; then to give up a 'family member' pet (another horrible loss). Then keep in mind that pets HELP people who are depressed, lonely, etc. What a horrific place to be in their lives. Prayers go out to them ALL!!!
    Thank you all for first CARING and second for helping get the word out!
    Hugs & Love to you all! ~ Coreen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, I feel so, so bad for the pets (and the people too) affected by this. :( I will pass word around.

    ReplyDelete
  21. so sad abouts pets being affected by events. i can't imagine what would happen to my babies if a situation occured and we couldn't provide or lost one.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I knew this had happened during the economic slump, but I didn't realize it would continue because of the oil spill. Thanks for the reminder.
    And thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday. Have a great Sunday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so sad and horrible - all those poor animals--they tend to be forgotten. Thank you for posting the link.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I would LOVE your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails