Life changing true stories told to encourage, empower and inspire us!

Bookmark and Share

"Fill your mind with light, happiness, hope, feelings of security and strength, and soon your life will reflect these qualities." ~Unknown

Email me anytime: coreen.velvetoversteel@gmail.com

"The Greatest gift that you can give to others is the gift of unconditional love and acceptance!" ~Brian Tracy

All post and stories are the sole property of Velvet Over Steel aka Coreen Trost. I write and create post in order to help others, so share as you want. I just ask that you link back or give VOS credit. Some of the stories are going into a book in progress. Thank You ALL.. for your support and help!!
"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader." ~ John Quincy Adams

Monday, February 7, 2011

Every Monday Matters - Donate Clothes

FACTS

20 billion pounds of clothing and textiles are thrown away every year—an average of 68 pounds per person.

1.5 billion pairs of unworn or barely worn shoes are lying in closets.

Over 36.2 million of the U.S. population lives in poverty.

On average, 3 million men, women, and children are homeless at some point each year.

50% of all homeless women and children are fleeing domestic violence, usually with only the clothes on their backs.

Clothing donations to qualified charitable organizations are tax deductible.

TAKE ACTION TODAY

Contact a local shelter or organization that receives clothing donations and ask about any specific clothing needs.

Look through your closet for clothing, coats, shoes, suits, blankets, pillows, purses, briefcases, umbrellas, and scarves that are in good condition and that you haven’t used in a year or more.

Organize a clothing drive at work, school, place of worship, or in your neighborhood.

Wash or dry-clean items. Don’t donate items that are stained or torn.

Fold and pack clothing in boxes, attach appropriate labels, and then deliver them.

Consider giving directly to a homeless person.

YOU MATTER

Donating clothes is one of the easiest ways to affect someone’s life in a very tangible and significant way. You can help someone stay warm, wear shoes without holes, dress properly for a job interview, or don a new outfit for school. Do you really need all those clothes filling up your closet?…Millions of other people do.

Monday used to be the least favorite day of the week, but that is changing. EMM is based on the idea that every Monday people can make a difference in their life and the lives of those around them. No matter how big or small the actions, they matter. And not only do people have the power to make change, they have a social responsibility to do so. Not out of guilt, but out of an appreciation for every living thing in the world. Together, each person can make a difference in the world and raise the collective consciousness, thereby creating a legacy worth participating in…one Monday at a time.

For more information about the EMM movement visit: http://www.everymondaymatters.com/
Bookmark and Share

15 comments:

  1. Great timely advice - spring cleaning the closets. Have been doing that for years - keeping my own wardrobe to the basics - nothing fancy in there, lol, and giving the rest away. We actually have a freebie table in the basement of our building for all kinds of gently used things. People are always passing it on to someone who can made good use of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice, Coreen. I'm sure we ALL have stuff in our closets which we don't wear anymore. I know that George and I both do. Since we quit working, we only wear sweats in winter and shorts and t-shirts in summer... All of those work clothes should GO.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we donated clothes twice last year and I'm sure we can donate just as many this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do this once a season! Thanks for reminding us - gives us a tax break too! sandie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always donate my clothes that either I have out grown ordon't suit me,
    My daughter always donate her clothes also.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just started purging my closets again. Early spring at least for the closets. Churches are another great place because they often deal with families who have had a fire, etc...

    I hope you don't mind me adding info in your comments. But we think so much a like :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  7. we get bags through our door for charity, I always fill one up xxx lol, great advice

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so good to remember. If there is no Goodwill near someone, we like the Salvation Army, and many churches have clothes closets to donate to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness ~ these are some sad statistics. I'm so glad many of my clothes go to Community Living at least twice a year. I like to think my nice work suits and jackets help some woman trying to get back on her feet!

    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't stand it when people throw away clothes they don't need anymore into the dumpster. I am all about donating--whether taking clothing that I haven't worn for a while to Goodwill or Deseret Industries, I'm for it. Thanks for reminding me to clean through my closet. I'm sure there are a lot of things in there I haven't worn in a long time that maybe someone else has better use for.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you are advertising and promoting this! I do save my clothes for a charity for disabled persons regularly, but never thought to blog about it and encourage others to do the same. Good for you for spreading the goodness! Thanks a million! ;D
    Corine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Informative post. Thanks for sharing Coreen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Important post dear Coreen - I donate all my clothes that I no longer use to the Red Cross. It is easy here in Denmark as we have drop points located in parts of the city where one can just drop the clothes into a container. I have never ever thrown clothes away.
    I am the same with food - I very rarely throw anything away. In my house everything gets consumed.;))
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Donate clothes, and there are many reasons for doing so, then you're going to need to be armed with the right information on how to go about it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very inspiring, Coreen! Most of us are fortunate enough to have money to spend for new clothes every now and then, and I think it won’t do harm if we give some of it, even the old ones but still decent enough to wear, to the less fortunate individuals or families. Or those who have lost their personal belongings because of natural disasters such as super typhoons or tsunamis.

    Alison Perris

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I would LOVE your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails