Life changing true stories told to encourage, empower and inspire us!

Bookmark and Share

"Fill your mind with light, happiness, hope, feelings of security and strength, and soon your life will reflect these qualities." ~Unknown

Email me anytime: coreen.velvetoversteel@gmail.com

"The Greatest gift that you can give to others is the gift of unconditional love and acceptance!" ~Brian Tracy

All post and stories are the sole property of Velvet Over Steel aka Coreen Trost. I write and create post in order to help others, so share as you want. I just ask that you link back or give VOS credit. Some of the stories are going into a book in progress. Thank You ALL.. for your support and help!!
"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader." ~ John Quincy Adams

Friday, September 3, 2010

Half Full & Aloha Friday!

"The optimist sees the rose and not its thorns; the pessimist stares at the thorns, oblivious of the rose." Kahlil Gibran
"A hug is worth a thousand words. A friend is worth more."- Sent by Jasmine Fitzwilliam
Half Full Friday is a series of weekly posts that Eye Girl originally started in June 2009.We believe that a lot of our happiness is determined by our attitude about the things that happen to us. So by participating, we are deciding to see the glass as half full, instead of half empty. We are choosing to concentrate on the positives, instead of dwelling on the negatives. Our Half Full Friday posts are a way to do just that. They are a list of the things in our life that have brought us happiness over the past week. We are determined to find the something good in every day. Are you?
"The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection" - Thomas Paine
For the next week, we challenge you to keep a list of at least one thing that brought you happiness each day.


"Friends are the most important ingredient in this recipe of life." - (sent by Dior Yamasaki)

This is what I'm Happy for this week:
  • I am happy I was able to help and calm a good friend this week & give her Hope!  
  • I am happy it's Friday because I have a lot to get done this weekend.
  • I am happy my son asked for help this week!  A Hugh step!
  • I am happy I got to talk to my son in Texas this week! 
"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." ~Anonymous

It's also "ALOHA FRIDAY" Everyone!!
If you want to join in the fun? Post your own question on your blog and leave your link at the Aloha Friday post at An Island Life. Then you can visit the other participants if you wish...It’s a great way to make new bloggy friends or see what people are thinking about this week and join in a conversation or two if you like.

"A Friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway!!!" - (sent by Heather Tallent)

My question:  When do you give a friend advice?  Only when they ask for it or when you think they 'need to hear it' anyway?  Are you 'kind' about it or are you judgemental and harsh, because you think you know best?

My answer:   I feel that being harsh or judgemental never helps anyone feel better or gives them the strength they need.  Encouragement, loving support and kindness goes along ways.  I only give advice when it is asked whenever possible.  However I try to always be supportive and may tell some personal experience stories to get a message or idea to them.  That seems to work really well when I want to help without telling them what I think they should do!  I'm not in their shoes, even if I've been in their situation. 

In extreme cases, when  someone is being abused, I try to 'help' more.  Of course if it is physically, I'm more aggressive.  However usually it is a friend being verbally abused and/or emotionally manipulated.  Again, my first hand experiences give me compassion as well as understanding.  Which most of the time, that is what most people need in times of stress or trauma in their lives.  Isn't that what we would all like from a friend or family member...... Compassion and Understanding?!
"A friend is one who believes in you when you have ceased to believe in yourself." - Sent by Lysha
Blessings & Hugs to you All,
Coreen
Bookmark and Share 

19 comments:

  1. I so much agree with all of this! Children can tell who loves them, they know. Even very young children. I love your quote about children teaching us what life is all about. They for sure teach us to feel the wonder again and see life with new eyes. No matter how bad we think things are, we can always find something to be thankful for! Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for a very uplifting post, Material things as you say are not everything but love, affection and being there is everything.

    Yvonne,

    ReplyDelete
  3. And they do remember if they felt love...so true! It would bring a sense of balance and comfort that material things can not provide.
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning! I hope that your long weekend is excellent and that you have something fun planned.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. most important lesson...hmm...probably never to give up and that hard work is rewarding...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, congrats on writing a guest post. I agree with the thankfulness with kids! Great list
    kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like you have a lot of things to be happy for ~ good for you!

    And I hope you have a very Happy weekend as well! :)
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um, as a child I learned not to get between two fighting dogs. Yeah, I still have marks on my knee.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a lot to be happy about!

    I so agree with your answer! I didn't grow up with my parents fighting so much but I do remember getting yelled at for anything and everything. And then I had an older brother who was mostly very unkind and he and I argued frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so true... I hope mine feel loved!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. if you are happy, WE are happy, and that makes the whole world happy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just stumbled upon your blog and had to join your followers list! I have triplet sons who have autism and are nonverbal. They are 16 years old. The glass being half full is something I'm always talking about! You have to bloom where you're planted, right? So, this post in particular caught my attention. :) Come say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Most important lesson... the skills to be comfortable in creation and a curiosity to see what's around the next corner.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! what a great themed blog. Love the idea of Half Full Friday. now, the trouble is, your banner is far too wide fro my wide bar. If you have a smaller one I will use it. I love your profile too. We need so many more like you here. I cam here though Betsy above. What a great site and just what i need as i do tend to see things as half empty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the happiness!! About the memories from childhood, I'm just hoping every parent feels just like you do. :) Here's to health and good cheer!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I totally agree! I wish parents got that! Great post! Did you see If you really knew me yet?

    ReplyDelete
  17. how true...how very true!!.... i have always tried to extend that warmth to my daughter ..but your write up has made me sit up and think... i should control my temper... i should love her more .. ...when i am on my death bed i would want my love as her greatest gift and source of happiness from me...thanks for this post...thank you very very much

    ReplyDelete
  18. The guest post is such great news! I'm excited for you!

    I agree that a healthy, loving home is so much better than having the best possessions. I work in an elementary school and I see how these things affect the kids. So sad. But it encourages me to be the best parent I can be (once I have kids, that is!)

    Hope you've had an awesome weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful answer...love is the most important. If you know you are loved, you have the confidence to do anything.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I would LOVE your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails