Life changing true stories told to encourage, empower and inspire us!

Bookmark and Share

"Fill your mind with light, happiness, hope, feelings of security and strength, and soon your life will reflect these qualities." ~Unknown

Email me anytime: coreen.velvetoversteel@gmail.com

"The Greatest gift that you can give to others is the gift of unconditional love and acceptance!" ~Brian Tracy

All post and stories are the sole property of Velvet Over Steel aka Coreen Trost. I write and create post in order to help others, so share as you want. I just ask that you link back or give VOS credit. Some of the stories are going into a book in progress. Thank You ALL.. for your support and help!!
"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader." ~ John Quincy Adams

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Half Full & Aloha Friday!!

"Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Half Full Friday is a series of weekly posts that Eye Girl originally started in June 2009.We believe that a lot of our happiness is determined by our attitude about the things that happen to us. So by participating, we are deciding to see the glass as half full, instead of half empty. We are choosing to concentrate on the positives, instead of dwelling on the negatives. Our Half Full Friday posts are a way to do just that. They are a list of the things in our life that have brought us happiness over the past week. We are determined to find the something good in every day. Are you?
"The greatest degree of inner tranquility comes from the development of love and compassion. The more we care for the happiness of others, the greater is our own sense of well-being." ~ Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lamat

For the next week, we challenge you to keep a list of at least one thing that brought you happiness each day.

"Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it." ~ Groucho Marx
This is what I'm Happy for this week:
  • I'm happy for a productive, yet calm week with no drama! 
  • I'm happy I'm spending Saturday with the sister I never had. Lunch, manicure, clearance shopping... it's going to be a great day with a great friend!
  • I'm happy I got to talk to my oldest son on his birthday! 
  • I'm happy my youngest son had a good week at school!
  • I'm happy I listen to my intuition more and worry less!
"Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy." ~Leo Buscaglia
"Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it gets you nowhere."  ~Glenn Turner

It's also "ALOHA FRIDAY" Everyone!!
If you want to join in the fun? Post your own question on your blog and leave your link at the Aloha Friday post at An Island Life. Then you can visit the other participants if you wish...It’s a great way to make new bloggy friends or see what people are thinking about this week and join in a conversation or two if you like.

“Loving kindness is greater than laws; and the charities of life are more than all ceremonies.” ~ a quote from The Talmud

My question:  How do you show loving-kindness to those in need?
My answer:    First by not being judgemental and having compassion.  I feel that having an open mind and open heart is key to understanding someones circumstances, which in turn shows loving-kindness toward them.   We haven't walked in there shoes, so we have no idea what they've been through.
"Everything is material for the seed of happiness, if you look into it with inquisitiveness and curiosity. The future is completely open, and we are writing it moment to moment. There always is the potential to create an environment of blame -- or one that is conducive to loving-kindness."~ Pema Chodron
Blessings & Hugs to you All,
Coreen
Bookmark and Share 

20 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Coreen. I love both your question and your answer. If only we all could just swap shoes for a day :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, thanks for joining me again this week! I hope you have a wonderful weekend! I really like the quote you posted by Groucho Marx.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do the same thing to show loving-kindness to those in need...not be judgmental and try to put myself in their shoes, then offer any help they might need that I can manage. :)

    Aloha: Haloween Dress-Up

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lunch, manicure and clearance shopping sounds wonderful! I know you will have a great time!!
    Loved all your quotes!!
    Compassion and understanding is so important...as well as patience and kindness!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Random acts of kindness always work for me.

    Have a great Friday!
    http://harrietandfriends.com/2010/09/yes-i-hate-my-captcha-too-but/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post Coreen, I also would not be judgemental help them all I could if not with material things but with advice.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have some really good quotes there. I can relate to you being thankful for no drama!! For me now, a good day is one where nothing happens!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. agree with much of yours...seeing people is a huge first step...too many go unnoticed...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keeping a "happy" list is such a great idea. Elizabeth Barret Browning said, "The world is so full of a number of things, I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings." Your list will keep you on the happy end of the spectrum of living for sure. So much to be thankful for.
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank for the quote from Leo Buscaglia. I remember reading almost all of his work, and always found him to be so inspirational and uplifting!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Half Full Friday! I hope you have a fun "girl" day with your friend. I haven't been able to do that in awhile and I miss it.

    I love that you've been participating in Aloha Friday's because I feel like I get to know you just a little bit better each week.

    Hope this week is going better for you than last week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your quotes on Worry. You have many followers, with your sweet spirit I'm not surpised!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many beautiful quotes here ~ lovely!

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend Coreen!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am happy so many answered my call for help on October 19!

    I'm happy we finally got rain - and equally happy it has finally stopped.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these quotes.

    As a mom I have to practice patience and sharing myself by in comforting and loving my children. It is the only way they will learn.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your last line is a clear winner!! I love that you're going out on Saturday! Hey, I want to be the lucky girl that goes out with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your weekend plans, sounds fun. Talking to son is always good, to me!
    kim

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a great idea..to keep a list of one thing that brings happiness...and showing kindness..I try to smile b/c I think a smile can brighten up someone's day..

    ReplyDelete
  19. I try to remember that we don't know what that person is carrying around, what events from the past shaped and colored their present, and what kinds of wounds they're bleeding from. I say a prayer.

    I'm thankful for so much-too many things to list. But on that long list is all my blogging friends!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ahhhh...those are lovely refreshing things to be thankful for...I will be doing the lunch, shopping and pedicure with a friend this week. I am thankful to be alive today, as we never know each day what it may bring!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I would LOVE your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails