- Every 2 seconds someone needs blood.
- 38,000 pints of blood are used each day in the U.S.
- Nearly 500 hospitals cancelled elective surgery due to blood inventory shortages.
- Demand for blood is rising much faster than donations. In fact, donations are declining.
- 1 pint of blood can save up to 3 lives—maybe even the life of someone you know.
- 60% of the population is eligible to donate, but only 3.2% do on a yearly basis.
- The #1 reason donors say they give is because they “want to help others.”
- Anyone who is in good health, is at least 17 years old, and weighs at least 110 pounds may donate blood every 56 days. View a full list of eligibility requirements online at: http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/eligibility-requirements
TAKE ACTION TODAY/THIS WEEK!
+ Find a blood donor location near you and schedule an appointment today.
+ Donate blood. The blood donation process takes approximately 30 minutes.
+ When you donate, you’ll receive a donor card stating your blood type. Keep the card in your wallet.
+ Put yourself on a regular donating schedule of once every 56 days.
+ If you have type O-negative blood, the universal donor type, your blood is especially needed because it can be used in emergencies.
There is no substitute for human blood. Human blood is precious and can’t be manufactured outside of the body. If you gave blood 4 times a year for the next 10 years, you would save 120 lives. Think of how many lives you could save if you gave blood for the rest of your life! Saving just one life should be convincing enough.
What is the Every Monday Matters program?
Monday used to be the least favorite day of the week, but that is changing. EMM is based on the idea that Every Monday people can make a difference in their life and the lives of those around them. No matter how big or small the actions, they matter. And not only do people have the power to make change, they have a social responsibility to do so. Not out of guilt, but out of an appreciation for every living thing in the world. Together, each person can make a difference in the world and raise the collective consciousness, thereby creating a legacy worth participating in…one Monday at a time.
For more information about the EMM movement visit: http://www.everymondaymatters.com/